Siding options include more colors, textures and styles than ever before and vinyl siding sets the standard. Siding your house with vinyl as part of a home remodel plan brings your Madison WI home in line with thousands across the country.
A report from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) shows that vinyl siding is the No. 1 choice for single family homes. Based on data from the Census Bureau’s Survey of Construction, about 27% of all homes built since 2017 sided the structure with vinyl. That figure jumps to 61% in Wisconsin.
Adding Siding to Home Remodel Creates New Look
An addition as basic as new siding gives your home a “new house on the block” look. To enhance curb appeal and reenergize your property a home remodel including siding is a solid investment.
What makes vinyl more popular than other forms of siding? Among all the siding choices it offers more colors and textures. Vinyl is tough and durable. The colors are blended within the vinyl so nicks and scratches don’t show. Using the highest technology, today’s versions maintain their shape in extreme temperatures, withstand high winds and resist fading and sun damage. To be sure you’re getting high-end materials, look for the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard ASTM D3679 on the labels.
When your home remodel includes siding, consider these benefits of vinyl:
- Light weight for easy installation
- It can be installed over the top of existing siding
- Almost maintenance-free
- Top brands have extensive warranties
- Under normal conditions it will last 30 years or more
Know When It’s Time For New Siding
When it’s time for new siding your house will give you tell-tale signs. You’ll know it’s time to reside the building when you see any of these:
- Bubbles or blister – old siding exposed to extreme temperature and too much moisture changes shape.
- Damaged sections – hail causes the most damage to siding. Cracks and dents weaken the overall structure and allow moisture inside to do more harm.
- Critters – squirrels and other rodents get under the siding and cause bulges or uneven sections. Cracks or bulges allow insects to make their way inside.
- Discolored, faded siding –siding loses its luster and fades after lengthy exposure to sunlight. Faded spots indicate weakened material.
If you’re adding a new addition or are tired of the old color, a home remodel with new state-of-the-art siding is an appropriate solution.
Insulated Vinyl Siding Is Energy-efficient
Siding is a building’s first line of defense against extreme heat and cold. While every home includes some level of insulation, adding more is always beneficial. Choosing insulated siding is an option worth considering in Madison WI.
Insulated siding features special foam bonded to the underside of each piece. Insulated siding comes in two forms – foam fused to the back and foam molded to conform to the shape of individual panels. Both work well in this area. Depending upon the brand, insulated siding products increase the home’s R-value by a factor of R-3 to R-5. Additional benefits include:
- Insulation in the siding shields the home from outside noise.
- Foam bonded to the siding helps it to resist impacts and cracking from occasional hail storms.
- Stiffer panels don’t show “waves” or uneven stretches on exterior walls.
- More insulation translates to lower heating and cooling bills.
Older homes really benefit from new insulated siding. Not only does the overall appearance get a facelift, new siding covers imperfections and helps to seal air leaks.
As manufacturers perfect the creation of insulated products the costs go down. In general installing insulated siding is priced 20% to 30% higher than installing standard siding. Adding years to the product’s life and reducing energy costs add value to offset original costs.
Have Vinyl Siding Installed By A Trusted Professional
Few siding installation companies have the years of experience and quality reputation earned by Sims. For a professional inspection of your siding and suggestions for an exterior home remodel, contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling at 608-825-4500. Or email us for advice and counsel. Our skilled professionals are ready to install the latest vinyl siding to protect your Madison WI home.