Whether you’ve planned for changes or they come as a result of unforeseen events, selecting a remodeling contractor for your Madison WI home is a major decision. Contractors bring many skills to the table and when you’re in the market for a home renovation you want a professional you can count on. Before your remodeling or repair project is completed you’re likely to have holes in the walls or roof – or have pieces missing on purpose or as the result of the weather. In each case, you want to be sure the remodeling contractor you hire will be around the complete the task. And that company do it right and stand behind it every step today and into the future.
Choose a Remodeling Contractor Wisely
Your choice of a professional to complete your assignment will dictate the overall level of success. No pressure, but it comes down to making wise choices. Unless you’ve been involved in construction projects of many sizes and configurations, you probably have no frame of reference when comparing teams to take on your home renovation. Your project will be done in phases..
Phase 1 – planning
Phase 2 – demolition
Phase 3 – remodeling
Phase 4 – finishing
Phase 5 – Acceptance/Approval
Phase 6 – Warranty/Support/Follow-up
In the beginning you’ll develop a plan for what you want done. It may be dictated by an existing condition or stem from a vision of what can be. Either way, you’ll envision what the result should be and come together with a professional to bring ideas, possibilities and realities together. Your finished home renovation will stand for a long time.
Before you tell somebody to take out old windows, old shingles or existing walls know who you’re dealing with. Before signing a contract agreement, get local references and check on them. It’s your home and family you’re protecting by following up on these details.
Ask Specific Questions
Every project has specific details to discuss with a prospective remodeling contractor. And, every job is covered by a series of basic questions that should be asked of everyone before shaking hands on a deal. Here are a series of questions that will help to identify the qualifications and reputations of companies you’re considering for your home renovation. Ask them, evaluate them and be comfortable with the answers. The basics from the first meeting include:
- How long has the company been in business?
- How long has it been doing the kind of job you need?
- Does it specialize in your kind of work or is it a more general organization?
- Is this a “full-service” contractor – or does the company out-source to subcontractors?
- Does the company have a long-term relationship with subcontractors (plumbing, HVAC, etc.)?
- Who supervises the project? Who will be your number one contact person?
- When can the company start your project – and when will they complete it? Get a timeline and a tight estimate of how long each phase will take. “We’ll get to it as soon as we can,” isn’t good enough.
- Does the contractor have a specific proposal for your project – details of materials, designs, etc.? Be wary of “we can do that,” responses. Ask for specific costs and timelines.
- Is the contracting company licensed and certified for everything you need? Are its employees individually licensed and certified?
- Are the company’s people skilled and highly trained? By whom – factory trained, veterans in the business (proof?)?
- How much of the contractor’s business is from new customers and how much from referrals? Here’s where the references really make a difference.
- How many projects like yours has the remodeling contractor successfully completed in the last year?
These are project-related questions to augment more specifics on your needs. There are two additional questions that, with the wrong answer, can be very costly:
- Does the contractor have complete workers compensation and liability insurance? Don’t be reluctant to ask this one – if a remodeling contractor IS NOT INSURED and a worker is injured working in your home, you may be liable for medical bills and relate costs!
- Who pulls and pays for the required building permits? It should be part of the contractor’s overall package and not your worry. Experienced contractors should know exactly what permits are required for a home renovation like yours.
Sims – A Remodeling Contractor To Count On
Sims Exteriors and Remodeling specializes in remodeling challenges including roofing, siding, ventilation, whole home renovation, bathroom remodeling, kitchen remodeling, basement remodeling, sun tunnels, deck additions and more. We’re the remodeling contractor ready when you are with:
- Guaranteed price quotes– complete quotes with no hidden fees, upcharges or surprises
- No ‘Just In Time’ pricing– the highest quality products and workmanship on your home renovation for every job.
- We Guarantee It– we stand behind our work for 10 years — if something goes wrong we fix it!
- Reliable Project Management – we promise complete quality control and project continuity – our project managers are craftsmen.
- Committed to Communications – our quote is for the entire project start to finish. Project managers are there for you — You’ll know the status of your project whenever you need it.
Call Sims, the remodeling contractor team serving Madison WI and all of greater Dane County.
Contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling at 608-825-4500, or email us to plan your home renovation with a reliable remodeling contractor for your Madison WI home.