After a long winter of freezing temperatures and violent winds your roof has taken a beating. For anything from roof inspections to repairs, finding a roofing contractor you can trust is critical. In Madison WI you have choices. Choosing the right one is the challenge. You don’t replace or repair your roof very often so careful consideration makes sense, right? Any way you look at it, a roof repair or a new roof is a big investment.
Unfortunately, when you need your roof fixed or replaced you have very little time to ponder your options. You know it’s time because shingles are missing, there are leaks or worse. You have two goals when it comes to a new roof – get it done fast and get it done right. Not necessarily in that order.
Even with a sense of urgency you don’t have to settle for the first roofing company that knocks on your door. And after a storm or if there are other houses in the area with damage you can bet some will come knocking.
What are the minimum requirements for a reliable roofing company?
- True to their word
- Represents quality products
- Stands behind the work
How do you judge these traits? That’s the big challenge.
Ranking A Roofing Contractor
Good, reputable roofing companies demonstrate their levels of reliability in several ways. When you’re trying to sort through the choices and select the one best for your home, consider:
- Local referrals – you avoid scams and “fly by night” organizations when you check on work a company has done in your area. Not only can you judge how long the company has been in business you can also determine that they know and abide by all the local building codes and regulations.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) reference – check with the local Better Business Bureau and other online referral and ranking services. GAF Master Elite contractors like Sims Exteriors & Remodeling must maintain solid rankings.
- Research manufacturer affiliations – companies working with industry-leading brands are likely to provide the best warranty and field factory-trained installation teams.
- Extensive warranty – top-flight contractors represent companies with complete and long-lasting warranties on their products. These contractors boost the value of their work by providing an additional warranty on their workmanship.
- Research material options – knowledge is always power. There are a variety of shingle styles and material from which to choose. One doesn’t fit every situation. The style and color makes a difference on the resale value and when you’re replacing the roof why not upgrade?
Decide On Facts, Not Roofing Company Claims
There are many roofing companies claiming to be the best in town. Only a rare few can back up the claim with facts. Just 2% of all roofing companies who apply gain the GAF Master Elite Certification. Only a handful in the Madison area qualify. It takes work and commitment to achieve certification. Commitment from both individual technicians and the company. There’s more to it than taking a few classes. Applicants must prove they have all the necessary licenses, are bonded, adequately insured and have an “unblemished reputation.”
To complete your review of potential contractors to work on your roof, consider:
- Commitment to safety – a contractor with a formal training and safety program is less likely to have an accident on your property. Sims’ top supplier, GAF, is the only manufacturer with a dedicated safety training staff.
- Licensing and insurance – get a copy of the insurance they have covering all their employees and any subcontractors, delivery people, etc. doing anything related to your job on your property. That means worker’s compensation and general liability insurance. See a copy of the contractor’s state license, too. Make no commitment until you are sure these documents are in order. You don’t want a nasty surprise if someone gets hurt, do you?
- You pay the bills – don’t let a would-be contractor claim to be able to handle the work without filing an insurance claim if it’s a repair or result of damage. It’s up to you to work with your insurance company. A contractor who says he is a “claim specialist” and will handle everything with your insurance company is probably breaking the law. You want all the legal work done by you and your official agent.
Be Sure Your Roofing Contractor Can Deliver
The bottom line is simple: Don’t give in to undo pressure. Sure, timing is critical to get a new roof in place and reduce the possibility of more damage. But don’t make a commitment until your insurance company is onboard and everything gets confirmed in writing.
When it’s all done you want your home’s new roof to be better than ever, right? And you expect it to stay that way for a long, long time. Unless bad weather plays a part, you’re not likely to replace a roof more than once in the time you live in the house. So doing it right is really a long-term investment. You want it done quickly and efficiently so you can go back to taking a solid roof for granted, don’t you?
Sims Exteriors & Remodeling is a GAF Master Elite Certified Contractor and every job is supported by an extensive material warranty. In addition, Sims Exteriors & Remodeling provides its own warranties for its workmanship. When you consult a Sims roofing specialists you’re tapping into decades of experience. You’re working with professionals you can trust to do the job right and stand behind it. You can count on the following:
- Free, no pressure estimates.
- Industry-leading products for complete roofing systems.
- Integrity – we keep our word!
- Trained, licensed, insured and skilled crews.
- The best warranties on products in the business – lifetime shingle warranties.
- An additional 10-year Sims warranty on workmanship.
Industry statistic show that as many as 80% of all roofing companies are in business for fewer than 5 years. Sims has beaten the odds serving Madison area homeowners for decades.
Contact Sims Exteriors & Remodeling at 608-825-4500 or via email for the latest energy-efficient roofing materials. We’re the roofing contractor Madison WI homeowners trust.